Monday, August 24, 2009

Gardening

This year for Mother's Day, Rodrigo made me a beautiful planter box and we planted a small garden. We planted 4 strawberry plants, 1 cilantro plant, 1 serrano chili plant, 1 bell pepper plant, 1 red bell pepper plant, some carrots, and 2 tomato plants in pots. We had high hopes for our little garden!Well we planted the garden the end of May. Unfortunately due to going out of town, although our good neighbors watered the plants, they seemed to be failing. So I decided I needed to fertilize. It seemed to help and the plants started to do well. The most successful has been the serrano chilis, so far we have gotten 5 chilis from it. The strawberry plants have always looked wonderful but there have been no actual strawberries. The tomato plants have really started to look good over the past month and we have harvested 5 cherry tomatoes from the smaller plant. The larger tomato plant had finally sprouted the flowers and we had 2 large green tomatoes growing with a couple baby ones coming in with it. It rained most of last week so I had not gone out to water, but this morning I went out to water and was dissappointed to find these a very few leaves left on the plant:

Can you spot the two horrible little creatures?

We obviously have not had not much luck in growing a garden this year. I guess maybe next year. Luckily we have been blessed by neighbors and friends who are kind enough to share thier yummy homegrown veggies.

No comments: